THEN: Aerial view of Downtown Long Beach, Calif. on October 29, 1953. In the early 1920s, the original Long Beach Municipal Auditorium was constructed on the beach and on 20 acres of landfill located south of today’s intersection of Ocean and Long Beach Boulevards. After the construction of the auditorium, there were problems created by storms and coastalerosion. In order to protect the auditorium from these problems, a horseshoe (rainbow) shaped breakwater was constructed around it. Because of its shape it was named “Rainbow Pier”, even though it was actually a breakwater with a road constructed on top of it. The Rainbow Pier went from Pine Ave. to Linden Ave. Just to the left of the Rainbow Pier is the Ocean Center Building which is still standing today. Also still standing is the Breakers (to the left behind the Municipal Auditorium and the Security Building (to the left behind the Breakers).