THEN AND NOW: Community Hospital Long Beachm, 1930s & 2011

52518-20110527-PN27-THENNOW-COMMUNITY-OLD.jpg

TOP: Community Hospital of Long Beach sometime in the 1930s. The hospital was founded in 1924 as Long Beach Community Hospital with 100 beds and 175 surgeons and physicians on staff. In 1980, the hospital was deignated as a Historical Landmark.

BOTTOM: Community Hospital of Long Beach, which opened in1924 has gone through many owners. Today it is part of the MemorialCare Health System and simple know as Community Hospital Long Beach. The hospital has 536-employee. In March, the City Council agreed to end the city’s lease with Community and start a new lease with Long Beach Memorial for the city-owned building at 1720 Termino Ave., which sits on 8.7 acres. The 20-year lease, which can be extended to a total of 55 years, allows Memorial to take on Community’s needs there, including the $16 million state-mandated seismic retrofit of the building.